Jarian and I have been fans of vWorkspace for some time and were thrilled when Patrick Rouse, member of the product management team for Wyse vWorkspace at Dell, decided to entertain our nonsense and join us on a podcast! Patrick has been in the Server Based Computing market for years, achieving CTP, MVP and now heads up Product management for the vWorkspace product in Dell Wyse.
This was a really fun podcast, we had our usual agenda rounded off at a tidy 30 minute mark, but enjoyed ourselves so much, the time flew by and we ended up with a 50 minute conversation full of fun and intrigue.
We recorded this podcast just before Citrix Synergy, on this podcast we had the utmost pleasure to talk to Patrick about the following:
- Patricks career path, Marine Corps, to CTP, to MVP, to Quest, To Dell and all that was between!
- The 90’s and WinFrame and POTS, oh my!
- Why is there such a cult following for Server Based Computing and the magic when you get it.
- Where did vWorkspace come from and how did it end up in the Dell product suite.
- How did vWorkspace integrate on acquisition by Dell.
- What is vWorkspace?
- The completeness of the vWorkspace suite and the announced appliance for vWorkspace at Microsoft ignite.
- Whats new in the vWorkspace 8.6 beta.
- Double byte chars
- Layering functionality, Yay! (definitely a trend for 2015)
- Full clone virtual desktops on Hyper-V, regardless if direct or SCVMM.
- Chrome connector for vWorkspace.
- Simplifying the connector to be suitable for your mom!
- Drag and drop from local to hosted applications (Take note everyone else, we get asked for this daily!)
- As an early adopter to Linux Desktops, how has vWorkspace seen the market mature?
- Does vWorkspace have vGpu/RemoteFX plans in the near future?
- Parallels, 2X and Odin.
- Storage spaces direct
- RDP .next and OpenGL support.
- No SCVMM needed for vWorkspace, yay!
- Could vWorkspace succeed head on vs Citrix and VMware?
Big big podcast, but well worth the listen. Take care guys n’ gals, we’ll be back soon.